A migraine headache is characterized as an intense throbbing or pulsing headache, typically in one area or side of your temple or occipital areas, and is commonly accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and extreme sensitivity to light and sound.
Avoid Main Causes:
1. Shallow breathing: Try instead to do frequent deep belly breathing which can reverse and prevent migraines.
2. Neck Pain: I recommend Biocranial Kinesiology and EFT which can help in preventing neck pain and migraines
3. Food triggers: Avoid artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, MSG, flour, sugar, fried foods, cheese, coffee and sodas. Avoid specific foods that are known triggers for migraine headaches. Chocolate, alcohol, caffeinated beverages, sodas, refined sugars, gluten-containing grains, aged cheeses and peanuts are some of the more common food culprits that may be causing your migraines.
Reduce homocysteine by taking B12, Folic acid and B6.
Consume lots of raw or steam vegetables, fruits, whole grains and fish.
4. Lack of key supplements: I recommend taking a Co Q10 supplement daily with half teaspoon of olive oil since it is fat soluble. I recommend taking omega 3 essential fatty acids is essential in preventing migraines. Also I recommend taking 5HTP [Tryptophan] will help to reduce migraines and enhance deep sleep.
5. Mineral’s diffiency: I recommend taking Magnesium, Calcium, and all other trace minerals which help in preventing and reversing migraines.
Lack of key vitamins: I recommend taking B1 Thiamin, B2 Riboflavin, B3 Niacinamide and vitamin DIII daily which has been proven clinically to reduce headaches and migraines. Co Q10 is also essential in reducing and reversing Migraines.
6. Lack of exercise: Aerobic exercise is useful to reduce stress and migraines.
Biofeedback has been proven scientifically to be the best natural treatment to prevent migraines.
Taking lavender, Feverfew; Chasteberry tea,Ginger, peppermint oil, Ginger Tea, cayenne and Butterbur root also help the migraines sufferers.
Hormones are also linked to migraines. A marked association exists between headaches in women and their menstrual cycles, and in no headache type is this more obvious than in migraines. Researchers suggest that 10 to 20 percent of all women experience some sort of migraine during or around the time of their menstrual period.
7. Avoid Allergies and sensitivities to certain substances that are triggers for migraines. Migraine sufferers decreased their symptoms when sensitivity-causing foods were eliminated from their diet.
8. Detox your body. When you have high toxicity, you will experience migraines as a sign something is wrong. Taking medications to reduce the headache is worthless. Treat the root cause not the symptom.
Using the above natural solutions to mitigate migraines is much more safer and effective than using over the counter or prescription medications.
The pharmaceutical answer to migraines is a class of drugs called triptans, sold under brand names such as Axert, Zomig, Imitrex, Maxalt, Amerge, and several others. These drugs act as serotonin receptor agonists meaning they enhance serotonin levels, which constricts the blood vessels around your brain. Naturally if you do deep breathing, it will cause blood vessel dialation which helps reduce migrains.
The idea is that by reducing blood flow around your brain, the pain is lessened in severity. The fast acting dosage forms such as nasal sprays or injectable can sometimes be used to abort a migraine if you take them in time.
The drawback is that these drugs come with significant side effects. They are also very expensive. Clearly, if you suffer from recurrent migraines, you would be well advised to find and treat the underlying cause.
Headaches, especially migraines, are caused by mitochondrial dysfunction. If you can fix the mitochondria, you can relieve migraines and headaches. If not cure them, you can certainly reduce the frequency of them. A mitochondria is an organelle inside your cell. You have trillions of them, and they generate your cellular energy [called] adenosine triphosphate (ATP). It is like a battery or a generator in every single cell.
When your mitochondria are sick, dying, or they are oxidized because of excessive free radical damage then your frequency for headaches goes up. This has been shown in a lot of research, which I cover in Headache Free.
What happens is this toxic pathway gets upregulated nuclear factor kappa-light chain-enhancer of activated B cells NF kappaB and it starts spitting out pro inflammatory cytokines such as interleukin-6 (IL-6), interleukin 1 beta (IL-1β), and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF α). The point is that your body is on fire, and your head is going to hurt.
Dr. George Grant, Ph.D., I.M.D.